Just keep swimming.......

Today was the day of my Swimathon. I decided to do the swimathon a while ago to give myself a different physical challenge. My friend has her own swimming school and she's super fit so I thought swimming was something to try. There were 3 options for the distance: 1.5k, 2.5k and 5k. Deciding on the 2.5k, my friend, Kalie, offered to help me with my stroke to make sure that my back was as safe as possible as well as improving what I was doing. Both important as the distance that I had opted for is 100 lengths of the Bannatynes pool

So anyway, I started my swim at 0910. The pool wasn't bad in terms of bodies in the water. I had a wee board all made up so that I only had to count to 10 at any one time. I've put a picture below. The first 30 lengths were the hardest for me, I was trying to settle into my own stride. Just after I had done 40, I was totally overwhelmed by what I still had to do and then, as if my wee MP3 player knew that I needed a boost, 'Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins came on. It was like a wee acceleration that I needed and the next 30 lengths were more manageable. Lengths 60-90 were brutal. By length 80, I've never known tiredness like it. I knew that I had done so much and was on the home straight but I couldn't really make sense of that. By length 90, I had a second wind and was firing with all cylinders again. When I finished, it was amazing!!! There was a man swimming in the lane next to me. I had been aware of him but not pay particular attention. When I stopped at the end of 100, he congratulated me and then informed me that I'd miss counted and had in fact done 4 extra lengths since 80. I asked him if he was sure and he said that I had forgotten to mark them down couple of times but he didn't want to disturb me. So I did 104 lengths (2.6k). 

Today was by far my biggest physical challenge and I could not have done it without the help of one tiny woman. My friend Kalie owns a swimming school called Mighty Swimmers and she took me for some lessons prior to the swim. She's an amazing woman and a great teacher. She completely overhauled my stroke and gave me a new confidence in the water. I cannot recommend her and Mighty Swimmers enough. If you click on the first Mighty Swimmer, it'll take you to her website.

Now to start training for the 13 mile walk and the 5k Race for Life.......


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devastated!!

Will the real Claire Chambers please stand up?

Shopping & What today holds